This is a Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) assignment.
As a group, identify a research or evidence-based article published within the last 5 years that focuses comprehensively on a specific intervention or new treatment tool for the management of diabetes in adults or children. The article must be relevant to nursing practice.
Create a 10-15 slide PowerPoint presentation on the study’s findings and how they can be used by nurses as an intervention. Include speaker notes for each slide and additional slides for the title page and references.
Include the following:
- Describe the intervention or treatment tool and the specific patient population used in the study.
- Summarize the main idea of the research findings for a specific patient population. The research presented must include clinical findings that are current, thorough, and relevant to diabetes and nursing practice.
- Provide a descriptive and reflective discussion of how the new tool or intervention can be integrated into nursing practice. Provide evidence to support your discussion.
- Explain why psychological, cultural, and spiritual aspects are important to consider for a patient who has been diagnosed with diabetes. Describe how support can be offered in these respective areas as part of a plan of care for the patient. Provide examples.
You are required to cite to a minimum of two sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, I understand the importance of evidence-based interventions in the management of diabetes in adults or children. In this CLC assignment, the main task is to identify an article published within the last 5 years that comprehensively focuses on a specific intervention or new treatment tool for the management of diabetes. The objective of this assignment is to create a PowerPoint presentation that summarizes the study’s findings, how they can be used by nurses as an intervention, and how the new tool could be integrated into nursing practice. Additionally, this presentation will discuss psychological, cultural, and spiritual aspects that are important to consider for a patient who has been diagnosed with diabetes and how support can be offered in these respective areas as part of a plan of care.
1. The article selected for this assignment is “Effectiveness of Patient Activation Intervention to Improve Diabetes Self-Management, Glycemic Control, and Health-Related Quality of Life: A Randomized Clinical Trial” by Choi et al., published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine in 2018.
2. The Patient Activation intervention was designed to engage patients in their care by increasing knowledge and skills to self-manage their diabetes. The intervention focused on teaching patients fundamental knowledge of diabetes self-care, encouraging patients to set realistic goals to achieve better glycemic control, and creating action plans to improve perceived self-efficacy. The patient population used in the study was adult patients (18-74 years) with type 2 diabetes, with an HbA1c level ≤9.5%.
3. The main idea of the research findings for a specific patient population revealed that the Patient Activation intervention significantly improved glycemic control and health-related quality of life. The study demonstrated that the intervention increased patient activation, which led to a significant reduction in HbA1c levels, thereby improving glycemic control and quality of life.
4. The new tool or intervention can be integrated into nursing practice by incorporating the Patient Activation intervention into diabetes self-management education programs. A Patient Activation intervention can be incorporated in a personalized diabetes care plan, which includes goal setting, clear action plans, and follow-up plans. Additionally, healthcare providers can use motivational interviewing techniques to encourage patient engagement and active participation in their care.
5. Psychological, cultural, and spiritual aspects are important to consider for a patient diagnosed with diabetes, as it can affect their emotional and mental health. Psychological support can be offered by providing appropriate resources, educating patients, and offering support groups. Cultural and spiritual support can be offered by recognizing patient beliefs, preferences, and practices. For example, modifying dietary choices and meal planning based on cultural and religious practices.
This CLC assignment required a summary of the findings of a research study, understanding how a new tool or intervention can be integrated into nursing practice, and consideration of psychological, cultural, and spiritual aspects while creating a plan of care for a diabetic patient. The Patient Activation Intervention is a promising intervention, which can significantly improve glycemic control, quality of life and can be readily incorporated into nursing practice, providing the patients with holistic care.