Case Study #1- Corporate Annual Financial Report, Corporate Governance and Business Ethics
The purpose of this individual analysis and oral presentation assignment is to help students gain a deeper understanding of the subjects discussed in the textbook chapters. Student will conduct an in-depth study of the financial condition and management practices of a publically-traded company they choose.
FORMAT AND LENGTH:
Obtain the most recent annual report of a publicly-traded company online. This can be a company that you want to work for in the future, or a company whose products you use regularly. Company annual reports are normally posted under the “Investor Relations” tab of their web sites.
Complete the following analysis. Submit your analysis through the Upload Box of mywuv course site as a PowerPoint file and be ready to present your findings at the next class.
1) What is your company doing to demonstrate good business ethics? (Use information from Management Discussion and Analysis section of the AFR, or information from company website)
2) Did the company’s net sales increase or decrease from 2019 to 2020? (Use Income Statement)
3) Did the company’s 2020 total assets increase or decrease from 2019 to 2020? (Use Balance Sheet)
4) Did the company’s 2020 cash flow from operating activities increase or decrease from 2019 to 2020? (Use Statement of Cash Flow)
5) Did the company’s 2020 dividend per share increase or decrease from 2019 to 2020? (Use Statement of Retained Earnings)
6) Based on your analysis above, do you think the company’s financial condition improved, or deteriorated from 2019 to 2020?
7) Provide a brief introduction of the company’s CEO and salary information from 2019 to 2020. You can use the company’s proxy statement, or you can do a Google search. Include your source in your slides. Do you think your company’s executive compensation structure create a “principal-agent problem”, as we discussed in Chapter 1?
The analysis should be in PowerPoint and presented to the class orally. Please name your file as “Case Study X_First Name_Last Name”. For example, “Case Study 1_Robert_Smith”.
Grading is based on content, analysis and style of the PowerPoint submission and class presentation. For the work to be exemplary, students should use information effectively to draw appropriate conclusions and include relevant support for their analyses. Correct accounting language/terminology should be utilized, and there should be no calculation errors. The presentation to peers should be well prepared and organized.